Hemorrhoid refers to the swollen veins. They occur in the lower part of the body around anus and rectum. When the walls of the veins swell, they become irritating and painful for the patient.
Treating hemorrhoid is not a big deal. It is rather an easy health issue to deal with. But it must be prevented as soon as it begins as the patient suffers a lot because of it.
The Difference Between Piles And Haemorrhoids
There is no such difference between piles and hemorrhoids. Rather they are the same thing. At times, people say:
- Normal cushions emerging at anus are hemorrhoids and swollen cushions are called piles.
- Piles are external and hemorrhoids are internal.
Both these thoughts are incorrect. The actual difference is that the piles are the general term whereas, hemorrhoids is the medical term.
How Do You Get Hemorrhoid
Some of the common causes of hemorrhoids are mentioned below:-
- Pregnancy– When a woman is pregnant, her uterus expands. This expansion puts pressure on the colon. This, in turn, enlarges the colon and the problem emerges.
- Diarrhea- Acute diarrhea puts heavy pressure on the colon and hence the problem triggers.
- Chronic constipation- Inability to pass stool and putting pressure on the rectum does affect the colon and blood vessels.
- Anal intercourse- This triggers the problem and also worsens the situation if the problem already exists.
- Lifting- This problem can occur due to lifting heavy objects or doing so regularly.
- Obesity – Obesity is the root cause of many problems, same goes for this as well.
- Genetics-Just like diabetes, this too is a genetic disease.
Symptoms Of Hemorrhoid (Piles)
Some of the common symptoms of hemorrhoids are:
- Bleeding without pain
- Lumps start to protrude from the anus
- Anal region swells
- Feces leak unknowingly
What’s Good For Hemorrhoids
Below are mentioned the points that can help a patient or a probable patient to prevent the situation:-
- Nutrition– Eating fiber-rich diet is the best prevention trick. For instance, fruits and vegetables should be consumed to the maximum. Fibers help in softening the stool and bowel movement stays good. This, in turn, keeps the body healthy and prevents emerging of hemorrhoids.
- Drink water– Water is the medicine for many problems, same goes for the topic concerned as well. Drinking plenty of water can keeps this problem at bay.
- Constipation and straining – While suffering from constipation, it is best for the patients not to strain themselves. This will only increase the possibility of causing hemorrhoids.
- Exercise and movements– Sitting for long and lifting heavy weight regularly put pressure on the rectum. Be cautious of this and prevent the problem from occurring.
- Weight management – It is best to keep your weight under check, not just for this but to prevent other problem that occurs due to overweight.
Last but not least, the one important thing concerned is-Bowel Movement. If this is good, piles/hemorrhoids can easily be prevented.
Piles, this health problem is not that big challenge to be dealt with. Topical treatments through ointments, treating with ice packs, analgesics, and many more solutions are there. Surgery for hemorrhoids too is an option but many doctors consider it to be the last thing to opt for. You can also take the help of some home remedies to cure this problem. Eat healthy, live healthy and stay fit.
Health Counselor and Primary Care Physician by profession, I have 12 years experience in primary health care services. Years of practical experience in women’s health care & ANC services and study have gained me a lot of knowledge on several health issues and I wish to share these medical advice and suggestion through this blog.