Choosing any product for acne prone skin is always very hectic because of the possible side effects of a wrong chosen product. The process of choosing a suitable product for acne-prone skin is very crucial so that you don’t get to see the new acnes or other harsh effects of the product on your skin.
When it comes to choosing a sunscreen for acne prone skin, there are dozens of creams flooding the Indian Market but still finding the best for you is not that easy as it may seem.
The person should know what exactly he/she is searching for the skin and also what exactly he/she is not wanting for the skin. Therefore, choosing the best sunscreen for acne-prone skin needs some research.
This article will cover every required information you need to choose the best sunscreen for you.
- 1 5 Best Sunscreen for Acne Prone Skin
- 1.0.1 1. Kaya Ultralight Aquagel Sunscreen with SPF 25
- 1.0.2 2. Lotus Herbals Safe Sun UV Screen Matte Gel
- 1.0.3 3. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 50+ PA+++
- 1.0.4 4. Aroma Magic Aloe Vera Sunscreen Gel with SPF 20
- 1.0.5 5. Bioderma Photoderm Max Aquafluide SPF 50+ (Neutral shade)
Why you need Sunscreen for Acne-Prone Skin
There are many reasons to wear sunscreen every day. First of them is protection from UV rays. Sun emits harmful UV rays that have even increased due to ozone layer depletion.
Sunscreen protects skin and face from sunburns and harmful rays that can lead to severe skin harms. Wearing sunscreen regularly can even decrease the chances of skin cancer and premature aging of your skin.
Many research studies have shown that direct exposure of skin to the sun leads to the breaking of collagen in the skin that leads to photoaging of the skin.
Maintaining an even tone of various body parts and body and face is possible only by applying an effective sunscreen regularly so that you don’t have to face sun tan or sunburns.
It is seen that people with acne-prone skin assume that sunscreens are not suitable for their oily skin but it is not true at all.
Exposure of oily skin with the sun can be more harmful than that of normal skin. And the Indian beauty industry has developed many sunscreens that are suitable for acne-prone skin.
Therefore, don’t live in the misconception that sunscreens are not made for you since you have oily or acne-prone skin.
What SPF Sunscreen you need in India?
Using sunscreen is important but using a sunscreen of correct SPF is more important. SPF of your sunscreen should depend on the weather and summers of your region.
Equatorial countries like India experiences intense summers and almost whole year sunlight. Therefore, SPF of at least 30 is required in your sunscreen to be effective against the sun and protects you from its harmful effects. Any sunscreen with SPF ranging from 30 to 40 is suitable.
How To Choosing a Sunscreen for Acne Prone Skin or Oily Skin
- Always go through the ingredients of the sunscreen you are thinking to buy. There are certain ingredients that your sunscreen should not have like Oxybenzone or preservatives like Methylisothiazolinone because they may cause irritation and allergies on your skin.
- Choose according to your skin type. It is because there are different kinds of sunscreens available in the market but not all are made for all. For example, if you have oily skin try to avoid those with ingredients like glycerine, oils, silicones, and lanolin, etc. as they may increase oil in your skin and can cause acne.
- Go for sunscreens with alcohol as one of its ingredients for acne-prone skin because it is used mostly in gel form sunscreens that are suitable for acne-prone oily skin and cause fewer types of acne.
- Select the sunscreen you are comfortable to wear. Keeping other things in mind and avoiding your convenience will not be of any use.
5 Best Sunscreen for Acne Prone Skin
We have shortlisted top-five sunscreens suitable for acne-prone skin that is easily available in India. These are:
1. Kaya Ultralight Aquagel Sunscreen with SPF 25
This is a lightweight sunscreen that protects the skin from sun rays without feeling sticky. This sunscreen is highly recommended for acne-prone skin due to its non-comedogenic and fragrance-free qualities. It provides protection against UVA as well as UVB rays and best for those having easy breakouts on the skin.
It provides a cooling sensation on the skin and guards the skin against the onslaught of environmental damage. This Sunscreen is highly recommended by dermatologists for giving superior protection against sun rays.
This Kaya Ultralight Aquagel sunscreen is suitable for all seasons.
Price: Rs. 580 for 50 ml (it may vary from one online shop to other)
2. Lotus Herbals Safe Sun UV Screen Matte Gel
This Sunscreen includes Birch, Hops, and Mallow extracts due to that it gives a matte look to even oily skin. The unique gel formula of this Lotus sunscreen promises to give calmness to the skin.
Its PA+++ rating means high protection for harmful UV rays of the sun. It comes in the form of a translucent gel that does not leave any whiteness on the skin.
Even though this sunscreen doesn’t promise to be non-comedogenic, it doesn’t cause acne.
Its Ultra soothing formulation and shine-free look are some other impressive qualities that make it popular among sunscreens in India.
Ingredients of this UV matte Gel sunscreen by Lotus involve horse chestnut, vanilla extracts, and comfrey extracts.
Price: Rs. 225 for 50 gm
3. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 50+ PA+++
This Sunscreen has shine and oil control properties due to which it keeps your skin fresh and beautiful. Its strong and innovative sunblock protection makes it suitable for all seasons.
It is waterproof and sweatproof with a mild fragrance that makes it user-friendly.
Its tight and creamy consistency makes it easier to use as it doesn’t flow like many other sunscreens.
Its HelioplexTM technology provides superior and balanced broad-spectrum protection against harmful UVA and UVB sun rays.
It is a non-comedogenic and PBA-free sunscreen.
Price: Rs. 199 for 30 ml
4. Aroma Magic Aloe Vera Sunscreen Gel with SPF 20
The Aroma Magic Aloe Vera Sunscreen is popular for its balancing properties in holding moisture of the skin and its prevention from sun rays. It maintains the skin moisture without making it oily or greasy.
It is free from harmful substances like oxybenzone, paraben and any artificial fragrance. It works on an all mineral gel formula that creates a barrier between your skin and the sun.
Zinc oxide present in it reflects all the harmful rays and aloe vera helps to soothe the skin. Its other unique ingredients like peppermint, Chamomile essential oil, vitamin B, C and E, grape seed oil, wheat germ, etc. prevent aging effects on the skin.
It is suitable for all skin types and leaves no fragrance behind.
Price: Rs.170 for 50 ml
5. Bioderma Photoderm Max Aquafluide SPF 50+ (Neutral shade)
This sunscreen provides skin from UVA/UVB by the best sunblock. Its unique technology combines extreme fluidity with a dry touch.
One another effect of this sunscreen is the prevention of pre-aging. But it is a bit expensive than other sunscreens.
It promises to control the weird shiny effect after applying on the skin and is known for absorbing extra sebum. Not only this, but it also protects the skin from cellular damage.
Price: Rs.1575 for 40 ml
Some other sunscreens for acne prone skin
6. Suncote gel with SPF 30
7. Living Proof Multi-Protection Day Cream SPF 50 PA+++
8. Lakme Sun Expert Ultra Matte SPF 50 PA+++ Gel
9. Organic Harvest Sunscreen for Acne Prone Skin
10. Proactive Daily Protection Plus Sunscreen for Acne Prone Skin
How to Apply Sunscreen?
You should apply sunscreen about 10-15 minutes before you go out in the sun.
Take about 1-2 pea-size amount of the sunscreen and apply it like normal creams on your face, neck, hands and other areas that you feel are directly in contact with the sun. It may require some time to get absorb so doesn’t over massage it.
Other tips for Acne-prone Skin
- Wash your face at least twice a day to keep it clean and free from excess oil. You can use the soap-free cleanser for washing your face.
- Follow a healthy diet that involves all required nutrients for your skin and not much oily food.
- Try to use the least makeup for your skin as it may block pores of your skin and can cause acne.
Can I use Sunscreen even at home?
Yes, sunscreen can be used at home. Many specialists and researchers advise using sunscreen regularly for all skin types to minimize the harm caused by sun rays.
Why is choosing the right SPF Sunscreen important?
It is important to choose sunscreen of right SPF because each skin type has its requirement for sun protection and even weather conditions of the region you are residing in effect the requirement of your skin.
For example, leaving in cold countries and having dry skin requires sunscreen of SPF less than 30 whereas oily skin and equatorial countries require sunscreen with SPF greater than 30.
Are there any side effects of using Sunscreen?
Yes, sometimes using sunscreen that doesn’t suit your skin can cause acne, burning sensation, itching or even red patches but these are very rare if you use correct sunscreen. Although, skin tightening and dryness are common.
Health Counselor and Primary Care Physician by profession, I have 12 years experience in primary health care services. Years of practical experience in women’s health care & ANC services and study have gained me a lot of knowledge on several health issues and I wish to share these medical advice and suggestion through this blog.