In this article, we are going to discuss and inform you more about Bulimia and how to recover from it a by yourself without any professional help. So keep reading through this article to help yourself if you are suffering from this and get some bulimia recovery tips.
What is Bulimia?
Bulimia is a mental disorder or illness which can affect anyone from any age and even gender. Individuals who are affected by Bulimia are often caught in a process of eating a big amount of food that he or she never used to. Then they try to compensate the overeating by vomiting, fasting for days and even take laxatives. A person suffering from Bulimia, tends to get over-involved in eating over a small amount of time. There are namely two major types of Bulimia- Purging Bulimia and Non-Purging Bulimia.
- 2000 Calorie Diet Plan For Men
- Best Laxatives For Weight Loss
- Best Stool softeners For Daily Use
- Atkins Meal Plan For 7 Days
Now let us have a look at the long list of symptoms associated with Bulimia.
Symptoms of Bulimia
The root cause of bulimia is guilt, body shaming, and criticism about oneself. While most people suffering from this disorder will completely ignore the signs and symptoms, but this is an eating disorder which needs to be addressed.
The general symptoms are:
- Extremely low self-image
- Obsession with body shape and weight.
- Fatigue and seizures
- Muscle cramps
- Irregular menstruation
- Bowel system doesn’t function properly
A person suffering from this eating disorder goes through cycles or phases of binge eating and purging.
In the times of binge eating an affected person is seen to eat a lot all the time. They might be found stocking up on food all the time and eating them up at one go. After eating one person is also known to feel extremely depressed or disgusted about the matter. Therefore this leads to the purging cycle where a person starves himself or herself, quite often trying to vomit the food that they eat to get rid of the body fat. People practicing these kinds of abnormalities for a period of time are known to develop a disorder where they require to vomit after every small meal.
Signs that a person is Binge-eating
- Eating a lot of food at one go. There will be an increase in the amount of food that one eats.
- Hiding food or stocking up a lot of food and eating them up on odd hours of the day. You may observe one raiding the refrigerator in the middle of the night even after having dinner.
- One will keep asking for a lot of money or spending a lot of money to binge eat at various places.
- One has been seen to keep eating till they cannot eat anymore. People suffering from this cycle are known to eat unless they can feel physical discomfort.
Signs that a person is Purging
- Visiting the washroom after every meal to vomit the excess calories gained by the food.
- The salivary glands swell
- The voice quality deteriorates and becomes scratchy
- Usage of certain medicines that will make a person vomit with ease.
- The condition of the gums and teeth worsens.
- Exercising for hours on end. The disappearance of people for hours from school or workplace to exercise.
Causes of Bulimia
Although the cause of Bulimia has not been scientifically found. But research states that bulimia is an eating disorder which raises out of the negative self-image. There are various factors like social expectations, emotional factors, judgments and biological issues that influence this disorder. There are some risk factors that increase your chances of Bulimia they are:
Age: Adolescence is one of the age groups where people are seen to suffer from various changes in their body and social anxiety. Many cannot deal with these changes and tend to give in to judgment from various others.
- History: People who are overweight from childhood has an increased risk of this disease. People who have gone through mental and physical abuse are also victims.
- Gender: Women are known to be more body conscious than men. So they tend to easily fall into this. However, a majority fail to understand that this will never lead to losing weight.
- Emotional factors: There are people suffering from depression. Depression in most cases leads to either one starving themselves or overeating to pass the phase. Poor self-image means negative thoughts that provoke a person to binge eat or not eat at all or probably exercise till death.
How To Recover From Bulimia Without Professional Help
Often we do not want to visit the doctor because of many reasons and wonder how to stop bulimia on your own. so here are top 11 tips to get rid of bulimia:
1. Express Yourself
Mental stress and tension can cause a person to binge eating. Therefore you need to express yourself and talk your heart out to others or just write them down in a diary. Expressing your thoughts, feelings, and stress helps you to relax and prevent yourself from binge eating. It is a good option for bulimia self-help.
2. Maintain Good And Healthy Relationships
Dysfunctional eating is often related to unhealthy relationships. People who suffer from unhealthy relationships, often overeat to cover their emotional distress and try to hide them. So you need to start maintaining good and healthy relationships with other people. Talk with them in case you feel distressed about it or if you think there has been a misunderstanding between yourselves.
3. Develop Logical Thinking
Emotional self-care helps you to keep your stressful mind to divert from building a bad image of yourself. Often people who are in emotional distress feel that they are being neglected and made them vulnerable to Bulimia. Therefore take the endeavor of keeping your emotions under control and try to discuss them with someone or a psychologist.
4. Practice Yoga And Pranayama
Yoga can be a very effective remedy that you can try out to leave Bulimia behind. Doing yoga in a regular basis, helps you to control the physical actions and keep your mind free from social distress as well. It is one of the best solutions if you are wondering, how to get over bulimia without gaining weight.
5. Try Meditation
Concentrating and calming the mind also helps you to achieve inner peace and comfort. This will help you to improve bad habits and make your regular schedule a much better one. Yoga brings a calming effect which boosts immunity and good mood. Meditation is therefore suggested by many as a natural way to solve the problem of Bulimia.
So as we have discussed the physical ways of getting relief From binge eating. Now we will read about different foods and other edible things which can be used to overcome bulimia by yourself.
6. Aloe Vera
Often stomach bloating or bloating in the digestive tract can result in the onset of a vicious cycle of binge eating because of creating a self-image disorder. Therefore the intake of Aloe vera helps in clearing bloated digestive tracts and helps in eliminating the disorder.
Probiotics infest good bacteria inside your digestive system and help in the clearing of blots, which will result in good digestion, better health, and good mood. It takes a long time to effectively work but is a very important remedy to treat bulimia.
8. Orange Juice
Orange is a citrus fruit and citrus fruits have been proved to be very good for your health. The helps in reducing blood pressure and keep the cholesterol levels under control. Therefore bulimic patients must drink orange juice to effectively get over bulimia without gaining weight.
Leafy vegetables have always been an important element of reducing bulimic effects. It helps in building a bloat free digestive system with increased dietary benefits and less mental stress.
Eating salads before consuming your heavy meal helps your body to intake important nutrition and necessary vitamins. It also reduces your craving for hunger, therefore, resulting you to eat less. Eat the salad 10-15 minutes before eating your lunch or dinner.
11. Bulimia Recovery Meal Plan
Another great way of controlling binge eating. Plan and fix a routine schedule for eating food and when to eat them. Keeping a balance between your weight and intake of food will help you to lose weight as well as stop yourself from overeating. Good intervals, eating healthy food and lots of water will help you to overcome the tendency.
The article has been a long one in which we have discussed with you a great number of details about what Bulimia is, it’s symptoms and causes and most importantly how to recover from bulimia without professional help. Always try to discuss your problem and prevent yourself from getting into emotional distress for a long period of time. Eat healthy foods as we have discussed above and practice some physical tips we mentioned. Keep your mental and physical health in check, so that you do not turn into a bulimic person in the coming future which may cause severe health issues, in you.
You May Like These Articles to
Health Counselor and Primary Care Physician by profession, I have 12 years experience in primary health care services. Years of practical experience in women’s health care & ANC services and study have gained me a lot of knowledge on several health issues and I wish to share these medical advice and suggestion through this blog.