Knee replacement surgery is needed if you one suffers from serious knee pain, excessive sternness, and limited movement in the knee which makes it difficult to work. It should be done if the pain stays even after taking steroids, physiotherapy, using supports for walking and doing exercise. (1)
Arthritis is a common medical form that may need a knee replacement. The other responsible factors are developmental abnormalities, genetics, any injury, and fitness.
Knee replacement surgery can be a solution if you have not benefitted from the non-surgical methods like weight reduction, changing lifestyle, an anti-inflammatory medicine, cortisone etc.
Knee Replacement Surgery Overview
This surgery is also known as knee arthroplasty and done to replace the severely affected arthritis knee with artificial implants or prosthesis devices which allow free mobilization of the knee. (2)
Unicondylar or Partial Knee Replacement and total Knee Replacement are the two types of knee replacement surgeries. The annual statistics of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons showed 4.5 million of U.S population has their total knee replacement done. Annually, 130,000 surgeries are done in the U.S.
Knee arthroplasty is done to relieve damaging of the knee joints which causes pain, fatigue and immovability of the knee. This surgery replaces the medial- inside of the knee, the lateral- outside of the knee and the patellofemoral- the front of the knee. The damaged bone surfaces and cartilage of the knee are replaced by the artificial metallic or plastic implants that act the same as a healthy knee. (3)
Advantages of Knee Replacement Surgery
- A knee replacement with favorable outcome gives great benefits which improves the life quality.
- The issues of irresoluteness, unfitness and limited movement of the knee can be totally eliminated with this surgery.
- The surgery reduces or eliminates the pain and the patient gets back the movement in the knee. The person can then climb stairs, shop, and do the daily activities normally.
- The muscle stamina and joint alignment improves after the surgery.
- Approximately 95% of the artificial knee lasts for 15 years due to the latest techniques. (4)
Disadvantages of Knee Replacement Surgery
- Blood clots can form in the legs. It can move to the lungs and cause breathing problem, chest pain and shock. (5)
- Nerve damage, urinary tract infection and blood vessel injury can also occur.
- After the surgery, complications like vomiting, swelling, severe knee pain, fatigue and bleeding may occur.
- Reoperation should be done if knee infection occurs.
- The major disadvantage is cost. The surgery is costly. However, the cost depends on the experience of the surgeon, implantation type, duration of the surgery, hospital, medicines, tests, and insurance. (6)
Undergoing knee replacement surgery in Mexico can be much affordable. Facelift in Cancun is a ccost-effectiveoption for persons who like to set right their hanging or loose skin.
You Can Also Read: